- Please remind me to press “RECORD” if needed. Thanks in advance.
- Tandon’s IT Helpdesk now has loaner laptops available for students.
- 6 MetroTech Center, Rogers Hall, Room 337
- Phone: 646.997.3368, Email: email@example.com
- More Announcements at the bottom of the agenda
- Extra Credit Opportunities are getting reorganized… soon.
- Resource of the day
- Student Blog Spot Talk (chosen at random)
- Microaggressions: more in the Session 4 folder.
- Slides: Tools for Navigating Microaggressions. Links:
- Share back: Jamboard Wrap-up
- Speak Your Truth, Check Your Privilege
- Intent v. Impact slides
- Medical Tech
- Overview slides
- Discussion of Medical Apartheid, Chapter 7
- Democracy Now: COVID vaccine trials
- Coming Up in D&T: Workplace Tech Discussion: Big Blue Button and Jitsi
- Due Tuesday 9/29:
- Phase 1, Blog Post #7:
- Reflect on Chapter 7 of Medical Apartheid (on the Tuskegee Syphilis Study). What was surprising? What technologies and diversity issues were raised?
- Discuss a piece of fictional pop culture media that you think propagates (or analyzes) the biases that derived from historical medical discrimination. (Hint: Medical dramas, legal dramas, and superhero stories can be a good place to start.) I will ask you to add it to a spreadsheet next week, and we will screen these clips throughout the semester.
- Required Reading: Read or listen to Chapter 8 of Medical Apartheid by medical ethicist Harriet Washington. This chapter takes a deep dive into issues of reproductive control and race.
- Phase 1, Blog Post #7:
Announcements + Extra Credit
- 9/26: March for Black Women (Online, Donations Welcome)
- 9/24: Colombia in Flux: The Challenges of Peacebuilding in the Midst of Violence and Insecurity by NYU Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies
- Write a post about any of the following:
- Five Years of Tech Diversity Reports—and Little Progress (WIRED)
- Taking a Tandon Makerspace training. The new training protocol is more complex during the pandemic, so I’d be interested to know about your experience.
- Take a deeper dive into the folder of Microaggressions materials.
- Anti-racism defined (Alberta Civil Liberties Research Center)
- Types of Racism (Smithsonian NMAAHC)
- Any events above.
- Internship hiring now: Design Assistant @ Asian/Pacific/American Institute at NYU
- Internship hiring now: NYU Center on International Cooperation
- Internship opportunity for summer: Apple Siri Experience Prototyping
- Internships at JP Morgan: