- Please remind me to press “RECORD” if needed. Thanks in advance.
- Tandon Career Services
- Today is National Voter Registration Day. NYU Votes
- Tisch Voter Registration Table until 9pm today
- Resource of the day: Skintone experiment (from Brianna)
- Student Blog Spot Talk (chosen at random)
- Diversity & Demographics in the workplace
- NYU Recap: Facts, Institutional Research and Data Integrity, Tandon.
- Workplaces Recap (including domestic and rural): Mercer’s Women & Minorities Report, WEF: Global Gender Gap
- Wrap-up: How to determine Substantive v. Performative
- Microaggressions: A school, workplace, and social issue
- Medical Tech: What is the tech in Medical Apartheid, Chapter 7?
- Due Thursday 9/24:
- Phase 1, Blog Post #6:
- Please write about strategies you might employ to address microaggressions in the future, when you experience them 1) as a target and 2) as a witness.
- [If you feel ready, otherwise wait until Post #7] Discuss a piece of fictional pop culture media that you think propagates (or analyzes) the biases that derived from historical medical discrimination. I will ask you to add it to a spreadsheet very soon. (Hint: Medical dramas, legal dramas, and superhero stories can be a good place to start.) We screen these clips throughout the semester.
- If you haven’t finished the Required Reading: Read or listen to Chapter 7 of Medical Apartheid by medical ethicist Harriet Washington. This chapter takes a deep dive into the specifics of the Tuskegee Syphilis Study.
- Phase 1, Blog Post #6:
Announcements + Extra Credit
- 9/22: GEN Z Votes: Fight for the Youth Vote by NYU Votes and other orgs
- 9/23: How to Implement Reparations in America by NYU Wagner
- 9/24: High Level Event on COVID-19 and the role of Mental Health and Psychosocial Support in Building Resilience and Sustaining Social Cohesion and Peace by NYU Center for International Cooperation.
- 9/24: Colombia in Flux: The Challenges of Peacebuilding in the Midst of Violence and Insecurity by NYU Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies
- Write a post about any of the following:
- Five Years of Tech Diversity Reports—and Little Progress (WIRED)
- Pew Report on Views of Diversity in the US (Pew Research)
- Taking a Tandon Makerspace training. The new training protocol is more complex during the pandemic, so I’d be interested to know about your experience.
- Trans-Inclusive Practices in the Classroom (NYU). Targeted to instructors, but has a lot of generally useful info.
- Any events above.
- Internship hiring now: Design Assistant @ Asian/Pacific/American Institute at NYU
- Internship hiring now: NYU Center on International Cooperation
- Internship opportunity for summer: Apple Siri Experience Prototyping