Announcements and Links
- CUNY Interactivity Conference (via Marijke):
Use the code “JSTUDENT” to get 30% off the ticket.
- New books
- Tutorial section
- NYC Data Science
- From Catherine Cramer:
- 6:30-7:15: Updates (including visualization assignments)
- 7:15-8:00: Chris Willard lecture / Q&A
- 8:00-8:10: Break
- 8:10-8:45: Workshop
- 8:45-9:15: Workshop Results and Updates
- 9:15-9:20: Final notes and comments
- Visualization Criteria
- What is an interesting data source?
- Who is the audience you want to see this data?
- What type of representation would serve this audience best (record, summary, process)?
- What questions does this help answer?
- What is the best medium for this representation? (poster, model, web page)
- Sketch your vision for how it will work (harkening back to examples).
- How will you implement your visualization (incl. finding starting points/examples)?
Next Week’s Assignments
- Blog Post 1: Finish NYSCI exercise documentation. Please include your Ideation sketches/pictures from the “big data for little kids” exercise, a short bibliography (using MLA citation format) of your scholarly resources, and reflections on the activity.
- Blog Post 2: Post your results from today to start your midterm preparations. In addition to posting your sketches and preliminary answers to the questions above, please also post your progress on