- D&T class slideshows are now available from the “Diversity” menu on this site.
- Numbering your blog posts (this explanation is now also posted on the Class Blog list): Please don’t number your posts to correspond to class sessions! Please make sure that your earliest class post says “Post #1: [Your Main Idea],” and that all subsequent posts are numbered consecutively until Midterm Week. By then, the list of your posts should look something like
- Post #10
- Post #9
- … [Post #8… going backwards to Post #2]
- Post #1
- If you have any extra credit posts, don’t number them; instead, please label the post as “Extra Credit.”
- Midterm Requirements are now posted. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.
- Might fit with your making plans: A Makers Residency at WOW in Chinatown
- Prototype + Salient Identity Exercise
- Links for Today’s Discussion:
- SEARCH TECH: Algorithms of Oppression: How Search Engines Reinforce Racism (Library E-book link here)
- TOILET TECH: Diversity and Design Chapter 13: ExpLOOsion
- FINTECH: Algorithms and Minority Homebuying; The study itself
- SOCIAL TECH:
- HOME TECH:
- TRANSIT TECH: Public transit and ableism
- BY MONDAY: Determine whether you’ll work in a group or solo for the Midterm. There will be a Midterm-related exercise on Monday, so knowing your personnel plans will be important.
- Blog Post, due Monday Feb 25: Determine whether you’ll work in a group or solo for the Midterm. Discuss your group/solo plans for the Midterm (due in 2.5 weeks). Reflect on some of the points about groups in the Midterm Requirements:
- With this class’s focus on diversity, please consider the diversity of your group. (Friends getting together with similar friends, even at the school level, is one basis of homogeneity in tech companies.) Be prepared to discuss the salient social identities of each group member; why you consider your group to be diverse; and how your group’s diversity supports the goals of the project.
- Blog Post, due Monday Feb 25: The public transit and ableism article explains an idea, but contains no graphics. Quickly sketch out a graphic showing what you think the author means by “Moving Transportation and Technology Away from Ableism.”
- Association of Computing Machinery Summer School in Barcelona. https://europe.acm.org/2019-summer-school
- Predictive Policing & the Stalker State: Hamid Khan, Alex Vitale, Alice Speri https://www.eventbrite.com/e/predictive-policing-the-stalker-state-hamid-khan-alex-vitale-alice-speri-tickets-55799340329
- You’re Invited – Existential Medicine #3: The Genetic Horizon on 3/13. Every parent wishes for a healthy, strong, beautiful child. If medical intervention can genetically design babies—or, adults for that matter—by what measures do we define beauty, health, and strength? In the third edition of Existential Medicine, we dive into the science behind genetic editing and the morality of altering human DNA in the era of CRISPR. RSVP Here Enter Code “NewLab2019” to unlock your ticket