- Intro: News Items (25). Reminder that this is a required part of your assignment for each session.
- Class on Zoom next Wednesday, 9/27?
- Timed Exercise (25) in Brightspace.
- If you’re new, time to catch up and complete previous Timed Exercises! All catch-up work is due on Friday night.
- Can you see your Timed Exercise grades?
- Discussion (20) led by Marc
- Final Notes (10) on Beloved
- Icebreaker (25)
- Research Bits if there’s time, particularly Equity vs Equality
- If you haven’t already, sign up to facilitate two discussions of two different authors on the “Discussions” tab of the class spreadsheet.
- Read/listen, take notes, and be ready for in-class timed exercises & discussions on:
- The epigraph and Introduction of Medical Apartheid by Harriet A. Washington, available in ePub and audio. Note that this book was written in 2006; much of its information is (sadly) still correct; but some of its terminology is no longer in keeping with the MLA and APA guidelines on inclusive language.
- “Sonny’s Blues” by James Baldwin, available in epub and audiobook (NYU login required).
- With the audio: start in Part 3 at 35:38 and end at Part 4 at 55:37.
- What current technology issues come to mind from your reading? Please find a news item about a relevant technology issue, and add its URL to the 9/25 tab in D&T News Items 2023.
Watch Dave, Season 3 Episode 5 (Hulu membership or free trial required.) Our guest speaker next week is the guest star of this episode.