- If you haven’t already, please fill out the 3DVE Intake Form.
- Please be prepared to discuss what you’ve been up to this week regarding 3DVE.
- In the chat, please share:
- Any issues you had installing Maya.
- Any questions about the First Time Tutorial.
- Any questions/comments on this past week’s reading.
- If you’re a new student, please introduce yourself in the chat. What’s your name, major, and experience with 3D development?
- Meetings will now be auto-recorded. Let me know if you have questions/concerns.
- Anonymous Zoom poll: how was this week’s workload?
- Last week’s Zoom recording is here. I will type the passcode in the chat (if you need it later, just email me).
- Quick question: can you access Zoom recordings through Blackboard?
- 3:10 PM
- Welcome to new students. Note student Discord and WhatsApp groups.
- Maya or Blender?
“Maya 3d” v. “Blender 3d” v. “Blender game” in job searches
- LinkedIn: 1350 v. 763 v. 30
- Indeed: 839 v. 317 v. 129
- Monster: 422 v. 98 v. 58
- ZipRecruiter: 362 v. 116 v. 66
- Glassdoor: 226 v. 2 v. 2
- SimplyHired: 733 v. 230 v. 89
- CareerBuilder 62 v. 24 v. 24
- Brief IP discussion, including copyright
- Tech topic: First Time Tutorial and basics. Let’s talk ice cream! Shift-clone, smooth mesh, double-click loop, soft select, standard surface, sky-dome, Arnold
- Data of human-made objects: more on the Smithsonian example, with some star maps from NASA
- 4:00 Shareback
- 4:50 Break
- 5:00 Discussion
- Chapter 2 of Designing Virtual Worlds. What was most interesting in this reading? Did you come away with questions? Are there passages you disagree with?
- Why Data?
- Audre Lorde: Poetry and “The Master’s Tools will Never Dismantle the Master’s House” from Sister Outsider. Note: If you’d like to listen to Sister Outsider as an audiobook, please email me for a link.
- Project 1 is due BEFORE CLASS next week. Email me a link (not an attachment) to your image. Your image should be in a common format like PNG, TIFF, or JPG and be at least 500×500 pixels. Please answer the following questions in your email:
- What is the image?
- How did you build it?
- What skills did you aim to develop?
- What did you learn in the process of making the image?
- Did you use external assets, e.g. models, data, etc? If so, name your sources
- Did any particular works or projects inspire you in preparing this image?
- EXTRA CREDIT: Reference Audre Lorde’s work in your image and discuss how you did so.
- Technical Stuff. Please go through one of the following:
- Lesson 1: Modeling a polygonal mesh from a reference image
- Lesson 2: Sculpting a polygon mesh
- Intro to Maya: Lessons 1-6 of Maya 101 on YouTube
- Conceptual Stuff:
Continue reading “The Master’s Tools will Never Dismantle the Master’s House” and/or all of Sister Outsider. We can continue to discuss in class and/or you can reference this work in your upcoming projects.