- Please remind me to press “RECORD” if needed.
- NYU Accommodations for Student Participation in Election Activities
- Phase 2 Suggestions
Agenda (may be re-ordered to work with guest speaker’s schedule)
- Guest Speaker: Rose Ampuero, Tandon Assistant Dean of Student Affairs focused on diversity and social justice
- Midterm Leftovers:
- Questions for Live Speakers
- If you recorded your presentation and want me to check it before Tuesday, please DM me.
- Last Midterm Tips (based on a review of current drafts):
- NYU Off-Campus: Accessing E-Resources (in D&T Books post)
- Please attribute your image sources. Captions are helpful.
- If you conduct a survey,
- You still need 1 interview!
- Please share the results (e.g. graphs, or grant me author permission) from your survey.
- Don’t forget the Works Cited bibliography!
- Resource of the day, Medical Bias Clips
- Student Blog Spot Talk (chosen at random)
- Introduction to Spiral to the Stars: Mvskoke Tools of Futurity by Laura Harjo.
- Diversity and Design and accessibility
- Due Tuesday, 10/27:
- If you haven’t already, finish your midterm and all Phase 1 blog posts, which are due on 10/27 at 11:59 PM.
- Phase 2, Blog Post #2. Please
- Discuss any questions/comments from Rose Ampuero’s visit today, and or from the document she share: NYU Tandon Strategic Plan for Inclusion, Diversity, Belonging, and Equity
- Discuss one or more of the following resources that involve staff and alumni of the NYU Prison Education Program. We will look at technology and criminal justice on Tuesday.
- After Now, a short documentary about the NYU Prison Education Program (26 minutes)
- Watch, listen or read this recent interview on Democracy Now featuring PEP alum Jose Diaz (about 15 min).
- Read Rikers in Crisis: Interview with Jose Diaz (PEP alum who was arrested and sent to Rikers while NYC was the epicenter of the COVID crisis)
- Watch last semester’s guest speakers Raechel Bosch and Jerry Leverette of the NYU Prison Education Program (about 90 minutes)
- Explore the site of Ameelio, an app that facilitates message and media sharing between inmates and their loved ones. (Spring 2020 video forthcoming)
Announcements + Extra Credit
- 10/22: Race And The Vote: Centering Communities of Color during Elections by Race Forward
- 10/22: Leadership and the Women, Peace, and Security Agenda by NYU Center for International Cooperation
- Write a post about the events above or any of the following:
- Analyze the Asian American Racial Justice Toolkit in the context of diversity and technology.
- TESA Collective makes board games for solidarity. Explore their site and blog, then discuss if you think they succeed in this mission.
- How does Google’s monopoly hurt you? Try these searches.(Washington Post)
- NYU Opportunity for underrepresented students: Pipelines in Quantitative Aging Research Summer Program
- NYU Makerspace $50 Mini-Grants
- NYU Startup Sprints are two-week programs that teach and support aspiring NYU entrepreneur teams to transform their ideas and inventions into businesses. Applications due 11/16.
- NYU Practicum in Fashion Business, Applications due 11/9
- Election Volunteer Opportunities with Immigrant Justice Fund