- If I forget to start recording when a guest speaker begins, please remind me to press “RECORD!” Thanks in advance.
- Please review the Futureworks Makerspace web site and Facebook page in advance of today’s guest speaker.
- Share D&T Phase 2 suggestions through this form. I’ll close the form at the end of the day today.
- Out of security concerns, I will remove all meeting links from this blog after the end of class today. So please save the link URL!
- For today’s guest speakers, my first question comes from a resource I saw on the NYC Resistor mailing list. This mailing list might interest you.
- For those from NYC, this might also interest: IntegrateNYC, a youth-led advocacy group focused on improving school integration.
- 2:00: Announcements
- 2:05: HOW YOU CAN SCORE MORE POINTS ON YOUR MIDTERM AND FINAL PROJECTS, Part 2: Picture considerations
- Don’t forget to add captions and attributions to your pictures.
- Tineye.com: reverse image searching
- 2:30: Maggie Buford and Emily Perina, Futureworks Makerspace (web site and Facebook page) Please remind me to press “RECORD!”
- Question for Maggie and Emily: Is Futureworks Makerspace involved with NYCmakesPPE?
- REQUIRED Phase 2, Blog Post #5: Please discuss today’s speakers. Points and questions to consider:
- On their Facebook page, Futureworks Makerspace posted links to articles from the Reuters and the Wall Street Journal about local manufacturing’s response to COVID-19.
- At 15000 square feet, Futureworks Makerspace unique is the largest makerspace in New York, but it’s also a community-based makerspace. How is unusual or unique? (Some additional research may be required to get some context.)
- Futureworks Makerspace’s K-12 STEAM program page has a number of pictures of girls and kids of color. Emily and Maggie discussed ways that their K-12 programs support girls and Title I schools.
- How does the Futureworks Makerspace support diversity in the maker community and in New York City?
- Some of the organizations Futureworks Makerspace has worked with: NYC Housing Authority (NYC.gov), La Colmena, Lee Spring, NSL Aerospace, Magellan, Precision Gear, Staten Island Museum, NYC DOE STEM camp (NYC.gov), Circuit Playground, Summer Youth Employment Program (NYC.gov), Bednark, Bay Ridge Sunset Park Dialysis Center
Extra Credit Assignment
On Friday 4/10 at 9AM EDT, tune into the NYU Aging Incubator Webinar International Perspectives of the COVID-19 Pandemic: Insights from China, England, and Korea. (Pre-registration is required.) Write a short blog post discussing your observations and opinions from the session.