- NYU Students of Color Career Dialogues: How to Get Hired as a Diverse Candidate (Brooklyn Campus)
- NYU Pronoun Toolkit, Albert Pronoun How-To, Trans-Inclusive Classrooms
- More Work Tech:
- Delivery App Workers describe a Culture of Retaliation and Fear (Vice Motherboard)
- Kickstarter Votes to Unionize (NBC News)
- Numbering your blog posts (this explanation is now also posted on the Class Blog list): Please don’t number your posts to correspond to class sessions! Please make sure that your earliest class post says “Post #1: [Your Main Idea],” and that all subsequent posts are numbered consecutively until Midterm Week. By then, the list of your posts should look something like
- Post #10
- Post #9
- … [Post #8… going backwards to Post #2]
- Post #1
- If you have any extra credit posts, don’t number them; instead, please label the post as “Extra Credit.” If your extra credit post is meant to make up for missed class, please note that somewhere in the post.
- Keywords Scribe, Marker Person
- Medical Bias Media
- Reading from last week
- Kimberlé Crenshaw (note 7:35)
- The Tech You’re Grappling With
- Preview: quick midterm discussion
- Affirmative Action
- NYU Affirmative Action
- New Yorker: 2018 Harvard Affirmative Action Lawsuit
- New York Times story on Lawsuit
- Defense: Harvard Lawsuit Site & Court Brief
- Plaintiff: Students for Fair Admissions and Exhibit: Expert Report
- Justice Department Document (in which it sides with Students for Fair Admissions in its request for a trial)
- Other concepts: Title IX, Intellectual Property
- Blog Post, due Thursday 2/20. Continue with the Tech You’re Grappling With. Please post and be ready to discuss the following:
- If you haven’t already, respond to blog prompt #1 from Session 6.
- Now conduct some Secondary Research (exercise adapted from the Field Guide to Human Centered Design):
- Enter the following into web search: 1) Your Technology AND 2) The Issues/Keywords your group entered into the Tech You’re Grappling With spreadsheet. What comes up? Did you need to refine your search at all and/or simplify the search terms? Please include links.
- What are makers of your technology (e.g. companies, organizations) doing to address the issue/keywords you searched? These solutions can be technological, behavioral, or cultural.
- In your opinion, which solutions worked? Which ones didn’t? Are there any that feel similar to the solutions you brainstormed (see blog prompt #1 from Session 6)?
- By Tuesday 2/25: Determine whether you’ll work in a group or solo for the Midterm. I will post Midterm requirements on Thursday 2/20. There will be Midterm-related exercises for the next two weeks, so knowing your personnel plans will be important.
- Scholarship Applications Now Open: Tapia Diversity+Computing conference
- NAACP Weds night community call: The State of Black Students in America
- Van Alen Institute Student Competition: Reimaging the Brooklyn Bridge
- Wednesday ACM Webinar: Fairness in Machine Learning
- Grace Hopper Conference of Women and Computing: Scholarship Applications now open
- Ford Foundation looking for Technology+Society Fellows (FT Job)
- NK Jemisin: Why I Won’t Speak at A Tech Company (Twitter)