- Download QGIS and (from QGIS) QGIS2threejs
- Obfuscation: A User’s Guide for Privacy and Protest
6:30-7:30 Austin Lee, CMU/Microsoft
7:30-8:00 Class updates
8:10-9:20 MindRider, QGIS, three.js
3D GIS Examples
- MindRider 3D data visualizations:
test01 (just downtown)test02 (all of Manhattan)test03 (just downtown, with color-coded buildings)
3D Vis of Manhattan (includes tutorial comments)
3D Vis of Vienna (includes tutorial)
Data and Tutorials
- Tutorial: MindRider in 3D
- Tutorial: MindRider simple QGIS analysis, by Jennifer Sta. Ines (download data here)
- QGIS: cropping shapefiles
- QGIS: tutorial for creating polygon layers
- QGIS: importing delimited text files (but don’t process them in Excel!)
- Deleting every Xth line in a text file
Other WebGL libraries
Assignment for Next Week
- Finish one of today’s visualization exercises or start your own. Some ideas:
- Visualize the provided MindRider data with 3D buildings.
- VIsualize 3D buildings with another point-based dataset from NYC Open Data.
- Use the QGIS2threejs documentation to visualize a Digital Elevation Model (DEM).
- Use Jennifer Sta. Ines’s tutorial to conduct a simple statistical analysis in QGIS.
- Finals are due in about a month. The requirements will be similar to midterms, with a possible simple analysis component. Start thinking about it!
- Install R in preparation for next week’s class. Download this sample stats file.