Announcements and Links
- Next week: NYSCI ideation, lit review exercise
- Punctuality and assignments
- 6:30-7:00- Book Club
- 7:00-8:00- Lecture: Data Vis Toolbox
- 8:00-8:10- Break
- 8:00-8:45- Review of class blogs
- 8:45-9:15: Discussion of spreadsheet functions and database queries
- 9:15-9:20- Next Week’s Assignments
The full Socrata/SODA/SoQL tutorial is now up! Please use it to complete the assignments below.
Next Two Week’s Assignments
- Data Acquisition, required by September 17. Expand the NYC Open Data exercise by looking at December 2014, the month of protests around Eric Garner’s death. Post or send me a CSV with the following attributes:
- data source: NYC Open Data
- time period: December 2014
- CSV size: smaller than 1 MB, if you’re e-mailing it
- Blog Post, required by September 17. Write a short blog post that contains a link to your CSV if possible, discusses your process, and explains your observations. Also, discuss other data sources you’d like to explore in future classes. Also, post a visualization if you get that far!
- Visualization, required by September 24. Use Socrata’s example page and the D3 site to start turning your dataset into a simple visualization. If you don’t get that far on the visualization part, that’s ok! We will do a deep dive with these technologies on September 24.
- If you’re having trouble deciding what to visualize, just try making a simple bar chart of NYC data in December 2014.