If you would like to submit an extra credit “expanded blogging” assignment, please complete it as a blog post and put “Extra Credit” somewhere in the post’s title. Each extra credit post will earn up to 2.5 points on your total grade; the post should be 1000 words long to be eligible for the full 2.5 points.
- More Work For Mother: If you have not already cited this book in your midterm paper, read
- Chapter 1 of this book, with a particular focus on the terms “work process” and “technological system.”
- Next, read one of the following sections that may apply to your own work: Food System (p 71), Clothing System (p 74), Health Care System (p 75), Transportation (p 79), Utility Systems (pp 85-89).
- Now, write a reflection: How does the author use the concepts of “work process” and “technological system” to examine gender (and any other salient social identities) in the context of home-based work? Do you think this examination still holds up today?
- Read Contested Relations and write a blog post that reflects on this paragraph, page 84: “American medicine developed under the expansive influence of European scientific racism. As a consequence, early gynecologists demonstrated their medical knowledge through their treatment of and writings about enslaved women as gynecological patients who purportedly felt little or no pain as they underwent invasive surgical procedures. Antebellum-era doctors continued the American tradition of reinforcing prevailing racial stereotypes about “black” women through their writings. These men recognized the importance of medical journals, especially as the field became more legitimized.”
- Make contact with any of the class resources and discuss how this resource has shed more light on your conception of diversity and technology. “Contact” can include attending an event at the resource, or scheduling a 1-on-1 appointment with an organizer of that resource. Please discuss the specific salient social identities and specific technologies addressed by this resource.
- You are also welcome use any of the prompts that you may have missed from the “Assignments” section in all previous class posts. Note that for an extra credit post, it should be at least 1000 words long to be eligible for the full 2.5 extra credit points. I especially recommend the prompts for
In addition to expanded blogging, you can create video documentation for your final project, a web site for your project, and/or a submit a paper to a relevant conference. If you’d like to pursue any of these options and have questions about them, please let me know.