Announcements: Class & NYU
- Makerspace use next week
- A note on participation and e-devices
- Accessing E-books through NYU Libraries
- REMINDER: PROPOSALS DUE 3.1.19 | Win up to $10,000 in prize money – 2nd Annual Innovators in Aging Award. For more information about the competition’s criteria and how to enter, visit the competition’s website by clicking here. Should you like further information about the competition please reach out to Louise Simon at email@example.com.
- Women @ Tandon: Women Rising up in the Workplace and Society: Words of Empowerment from Marianne Williamson
- Terms: Military-Industrial Complex, Prison-Industrial Complex, Corporate Personhood, Conflicts of Interest
- Eisenhower Archive: Coining of term “Military-Industrial Complex”
- Microsoft Integrated Visual Augmentation System
- We did not sign up to develop weapons’: Microsoft workers protest $480m HoloLens military deal
- The letter from Microsoft employees
- Best Toilet Paper in the World
- “Fake News” and Political Tech
- Taser: Can-the-manufacturer-of-tasers-provide-the-answer-to-police-abuse (New Yorker)
- Blog Post due Monday, March 4: Read the Introduction to Automating Inequality by Virginia Eubanks. How do you think the topics discussed in this chapter might relate to political, policing, and/or prison technology? Feel free to cite additional links (e.g. news articles).
- Blog Post due Monday, March 4: Make progress towards the Midterm. I will discuss these with you in 1-on-1 and small group sessions next week. Address these points from the Midterm Requirements:
- Iterate on your prototype.
- What is the larger social issue that underlies this problem that that your technology aims to address?
- How are diversity, inclusion, and identity related to this issue?
- March 7 ACM Webinar: Building a Culture to Support Inclusive Design
- 2019-2020 NYU Course: Art & Politics in the City: New York and Buenos Aires
- DuckDuckGo post on alternate services to Google
- Center for Minorities and People with Disabilities in IT
- March 11 deadline: Tapia Celebration of Diversity in Computing
- April 18 deadline: BRIC Youth Media Festival