Phase 2 Paper. Full draft due November 8. (Final paper due in Phase 3)
Please write a 1250+ word research article, creative nonfiction, or ethnography (series of interviews) that critically examines issues faced by your community partner in the process of data visualization. If you need a community partner, consider the list of confirmed community partners for the class.
- What are the questions they are researching or investigating with data?
- What are their issues in collecting the data?
- What are their issues in cleaning the data?
- What are their issues in understanding the data?
- Are there historical precedents for this kind of work with data? For this, please explore and cite at least one of the books from the “Historical/Foundational” section of the course-reserved books (see syllabus).
- What kinds of data visualizations can help them? What kinds of visualizations can’t help them? For this, it may help to explore the books in the “Technique/Science” section of the course reserves (see syllabus).
- Please provide possible vis sketches and/or notes from your exchanges with your community partner. Keep in mind that some community partners may have limited time to work with you. Plan accordingly!
- If applicable, please integrate your thoughts on speakers and/or site visits so far.
- Please draft an MLA-formatted bibliography for the books, articles, web sites, site visits, speakers, and other sources that you cite. Please use at least three sources, including one of the course reserves.